We are off to Canada! We got our permanent residence visas just before xmas 2005, two years after applying and 10 years after our first visit.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The Grind

I did the Grouse Grind today, Doug got the cable car up because he's still got a swollen ankle. People were limbering up at the bottom of the trail so I was wondering what I was letting myself in for. I knew it was a 1.8 mile vertical hike with a 2800ft ascent,an 8 foot billboard full of disclaimers at the beginning, warnings of cougar and black bear but come on.. how bad can it be.
Any way it was hard.


Although I was quite pleased with my time of 1hr 16 mins. They say it takes between 1 and 1.5hrs.








At the top there is a bear enclosure which holds two bears, Koola and Grinder. They were orphaned cubs when they were taken in. Koola's mother was hit by a truck. Orphaned cubs are often shot when found in the wild because they can't fend for themselves and are often cannibalised by adult male bears. Koola is the largest of the two, 700lb, wouldn't like to bump into him on a dark trail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home